RESTful Web API Design
Yesterday I did a workshop at the Software Architecture Summit in Berlin. More than 60 software architects came to my sessions about RESTful Web API Design. In this blog article I share my slides, code, and links to tools/technologies I mentioned. I hope you find the resources useful.
Here is the agenda describing what I covered in the workshop:
RESTful Web APIs have become an integral part of modern software packages. They are important for integration scenarios in enterprises and in the cloud. This workshop is dedicated to designing RESTful Web APIs. Rainer Stropek, himself founder a SaaS-focused company, will guide you through the world of RESTful APIs. In particular, Rainer will speak about the following topics:
- Short recap of the basic principles of RESTful Web APIs
- Real-world RESTful API design (e.g. addressing in multi-tenant systems, versioning, long-running operations, etc.)
- Authentication and authorization with OAuth2 and OpenID Connect
- The OData standard for RESTful APIs
- The role of metadata using the examples of http://swagger.io/ and OData
- Securing and operating RESTful APIs using the example of Azure API Management
Here you can view the slides online. Those who prefer downloading a PDF version including hyperlinks can find the PDF document here.
The workshop did not focus on coding. However, to illustrate some priciples I showed simple coding examples. You can find all of them in my Github Samples repository. Here are the links:
Here are links to tools and technologies I showed or mentioned during the workshop: